It is best practice to include the following in any covering letter:
- Briefly introduce yourself, state what position you are applying for and where you saw it advertised. For a speculative letter, include the type of work you are seeking.
- Explain why you are interested in this type of work.
- Explain why you are interested in working for this particular organisation.
- Provide evidence of your key strengths by referring to experiences on your CV. Aim for your key strengths to reflect the requirements of the employer and position.
- Indicate your availability for an interview.
- A professional business layout is important, addressed to a named individual wherever possible.
- Aim for one side of A4 with the same quality paper and font style as your CV.
- The same rules about checking for spelling, grammar or typos still apply.